Thursday, July 3, 2014

  |  No comments  |  

Granada, Spain Travel Guide

Granada was the last Moorish stronghold in Europe, falling in 1492 to the Catholic Monarchs.
Moorish influences still abound and no more so than at the Alhambra palace and fortress,
built during the 13th and 14th century by the Moorish Kings.
The Alhambra is a joy to behold, a perfect marriage of  geometry and art.
It’s dimensions incorporate the golden ratio, a divine proportion mirrored
numerous times in the nature.

Granada, Spain Travel Video Guide
 The tiling patterns in the Alumbra use periodic symmetrical designs,
which work on a basic unit, that can repeat itself indefinitely.
I heard of a mountain in Granada, where people lived in caves.
I was told this was a dangerous area, frequented by gypsies, thieves and drug addicts.
I decided I must visit this place, and learn more.
San Miguel Alto would have to have some of the best views in Granada.
Depending on the time of the year, up to 300 people live in caves
dug into the side of the mountain.
I arrived just as some of the inhabitants were cooking lunch,
on a very interesting looking dome shaped contraption.
Dr Sun, a german solar power technician had been living in a cave for over a year,
exploring low impact living. I asked him how his cooking machine worked.
The Solar cooking machine is using only direct solar radiation and it takes the whole
 surface into a parabolic form to reflect all the light into one, or a bigger point in the middle.
 And this brings, with this machine, 220 degrees. This is enough for cooking, baking and
 all the stuff you normally do in the kitchen.
Half way through lunch, a herd of goats raced down the mountain.
I moved to higher ground, where I met another group of cave dwellers.
I spoke with Joana Casa about the intricacies of cave living.
There are several difficulties here like carrying water from the fountain,
for us and for our kitchen garden. If I have to talk about hygiene
I could say we have a toilet here which works with quicklime,
but some people don’t have one, and they have to find a solution to this trouble,
so, they can go to a bar or just dig a hole in the floor.
In winter, almost all the caves have a bonfire to get warm,
and we have to go out to take some wood, we don’t have electric light,
I don’t think that it’s a difficulty, instead of electric light,
we have candles and we listen to the radio.
I love the contact we have with earth and to live it,
we can feel these elements we have above and (these elements)

they influence you while you are dreaming at night,
and then you wake up and you can see
Sierra Nevada and La Alhambra under your feet.
I like people who live here, there is a very good atmosphere,
people from everywhere (musicians, artisans…)
everything is mixed, and there is a good connection,
at least in this gully. We are very happy
As I headed down the mountain, the Andalusian sun setting on the majestic Alhumbra,
I felt very privileged to have visited this special place and found such a unique story.
Once again I stayed with couchsurfers, and my cave dweller story would not have been
possible without the suggestions of David and Irene. It’s a great way to meet locals,
but the show must go on, next stop Valencia.

0 개의 댓글: